Monday, February 2, 2015

My verse of the year

I'm going to share a secret with you.  For the last couple of years, I pray during December and ask God to lead me to a verse for the upcoming year.  Some years God leads me to a verse that reminds me to rest in Him (Psalm 62:1).  Others encourage me to be more proactive in working for Him (Matthew 5:16).  And others are those that help me to better reflect His character (Psalm 19:14).  No matter what verse I am led to, it becomes a central part of me for the next year.

This year my verse is Psalm 19:14, let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in your sight, oh LORD, my Rock and Redeemer.  Not always an easy task for me.  As a matter of fact, our struggles with controlling our tongues is actually one of the things that drew Stacie and I together and made us BFF's. This year, though, I want to go beyond just attempting to tame my tongue and look inward as well.  For our words are a reflection of our heart.  (Matthew 15:18)

Here is my secret though, I'm not very good at remembering my goal during my day to day activities.  It doesn't really matter what that goal is, whether it was resting in God, letting my light shine, and especially not the goal this year.  In the heat of the moment, when I have had little sleep, am under a lot of stress, have a little one still trying to master her own struggle with choosing the right words (and tone), and two teenagers in the house I don't always choose to react in a manner that would be acceptable to God (and upon reflection once I calm down, it really isn't to me either!).

Last year, though, I found a way to help me stay more aware of my goal.  I purchased a bracelet and had my verse stamped on it.  I'm not a bracelet wearer, so having it dangling on my wrist, catching on my shirt sleeve, reflecting the light at times, getting in the way was a constant reminder of my goal.  It helped me to stay focused.  And as a plus, I had a pretty piece of jewelry to wear and something to remind me forever of the lessons I learned that year.

Over time, however, I became accustomed to the bracelet.  Like the verse, it became a part of me, no longer an nuisance.  As a result I knew another bracelet would not be a good reminder.  So this year I visited Etsy and found a seller that was willing to create a custom ring with my verse of the year on it.  It finally arrived!

I don't usually wear a ring on my right hand, so my hope is that this serves the same purpose that the bracelet did.  I have been wearing it for about a week now and I have to admit that there have been several times that I have been saying or thinking something and found myself twisting my ring around my finger at the same time.  I then stop and consider if what I have said or thought would be pleasing to God.  

So, why am I sharing this with you?  Because no matter where you are in your Christian walk, God has something to share with you.  There is something He wants you to do -whether for the kingdom or for yourself.  Are you asking Him what it is?  Are you making a REAL effort to accomplish it if you have?  I'm not saying you need to run out and buy a bracelet or a ring and have a verse stamped on it.  I'm not even saying you need to have a verse of the year.  What I am saying is that you need to be in conversation with Him, because if you aren't doing something then I have to wonder if you have really committed to Him.  (James 2:14-26)

And if you have a verse, or even a word, of the year I would love for you to share how you keep focused on it.  Eventually I am going to run out of jewelry ideas.  :)
*originally published at Coffee with Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment