Thursday, October 4, 2012

Day 9 - The Slandering Tongue

To hide hatred is to be a liar; to slander isto be a fool. ~Proverbs 10:18 NLT
 
Slander:  is an accusation maliciously uttered, with the purpose or effect of damaging the reputation of another. As a rule it is a false charge (compare Mt 5:11); but it may be a truth circulated insidiously and with a hostile purpose (e.g. Dan 3:8, "brought accusation against,") 
(Definition from the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia)
 
It surrounds us.  Stand in a grocery aisle and you will see numerous tabloids that get rich from false accusations or rumors with little truth to them.  Watch the news and you will often see a onesided story presented in such a way as to make someone out to be a bad guy.  And during this time of political elections it is on commercial after commercial in which one candidate disparages another's actions, beliefs, etc.  Slander is a part of our society, and has been since before biblical times.  What is it about slander that we find so appealing?
 
It makes us feel better about ourself by making someone else out to be less than we are.  After all, if we are better than the Joneses then we must be doing something right, right?  And there is the problem, the yardstick we tend to us.  You see, it doesn't matter who on this earth we think we are better than, the truth is we will always fall short on our own in God's eyes.  ALL have sinned.  Yes, my sin is probably different than yours, but it is just as bad.  James 2:10 tells us that by commiting one sin, you are in effect committing them all.  No sin is worse than another.  Using that yardstick, slander becomes a useless tool.  When we talk about Larry cheating on his wife and how awful that is, in God's eyes that is no worse than our slanderous tongue!

Matthew 7:1-5 reminds us that before we start focusing on another's issues, we first need to deal with our own. I don't know about you, but I know that I have enough planks in my own eye to keep me busy!  1 Peter 2:1 tells us to put away slander, Mark 7:20-23 calls slander an evil things and reminds us that it comes from our hearts.  And isn't that where all of the problems of taming the tongue come from?  Our hearts?  The tongue is just an outward expression of what is inside of us. I for one don't want all of this ugly inside of me.  I want to clean it out and give the Holy Spirit a beautiful place to dwell!

Father God, help me today to examine my heart and to sweep out my insecurities, my judgements, my desire to protect myself by bringing harm to others.  Fill me with the Spirit and let Him guide my heart so that my tongue will follow.  Help me to choose words that build others up, that support your kingdom, rather than words of destruction. In your Son's name I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment